In the year 2000 Fjell Technology Group AS decided to develop a robust and energy efficient disc dryer specially designed for modern manufacturing methods like robotic welding. We had a competent staff with senior personnel having experience from design, manufacturing and installation of about 2000 Stord dryers since the introduction of the technology, wich took place in the late 50ies. We added some young innovative engineers skilled in state of the art engineering design and analysis techniques. The result was the Fjell Turbo Disc Dryer with a unique patented disc design, based on efficient manufacturing techniques.
- Sludge in Waste Water Treatment Plants
- Fishmeal in both land based and ship installed plants
- Ingredients in the food industry
- Spent grains in distilleries and breweries
- Animal and poultry by-products
- Industrial bio-sludge and mineral sludge
- Replacement rotors and units for old disc dryers
The Fjell Turbo Disc Dryer is designed for indirect heating by steam (6-10 bar). The dryer can be delivered for vacuum drying of temperature sensitive raw materials. The largest heating surface is the rotor, but additional heating surface is available as an option on the stator. The product to be dried is slowly, but vigorously, transported from inlet to outlet end by a paddle system mounted on the disc periphery. Product discharge is normally done continuously by a speed controlled extraction screw conveyor. The discs are mounted on a heavy central shaft with a highly efficient condensate removal system integrated. Scraper bars ensure agitation between the discs, which is necessary for an efficient evaporation. The moisture evaporated from the product is collected in a high top vapour dome, and continuously removed. Dryers can be supplied in all practical sizes, in all common materials of construction (carbon-, stainless-, and duplex steels), and approved and inspected according to the leading international design codes and standards (PED, ASME, JIS, GOST, DNV, Lloyds, Bureau Veritas etc..) The dryer has a unique endurable patented rotor design without traditional welded stays exposed to tear, wear, fatigue and corrosion.
- Forged claws can be welded with high precision in a flat position with the use of a robotwelder
- It can be performed both a visual and a penetrant test prior to assembly
- Welds are not exposed to external environment in dryer. Thereby risk for stress corrosion cracking is eliminated
- Welds do not seal between the pressurised and non-pressurised side. This eliminates the risk of steam leakage
- Claws act as reinforcement beams in the radial direction, this increase the lateral bending strength of the discs, which reduces the risk of leakages in the foot welds between discs
Standard Range Fjell Turbo Disc Dryers
- The number of discs can be adjusted according to customer requirements.
- The Stator jacket can increase the heating surface about 10%.
- Nominal weight is estimated with 8 mm disc thickness.
We can perform on-site pilot tests with our small pilot Turbo Disc vacuum drying plant.