This Norwegian Research Counsil-funded Projects goal is to develop next generation CO2 capture geared towards industry or Power production, with a potential to provide significant cost reductions. The present proposal supports this end to a high degree, in that it:
- Produces chemically- and mechanically stable highly porous carbon spheres anchoring polyethylenimine (PEI) as low temperature CO2 sorbents, with high CO2 capture capacity, fast kinetics and low adsorption heat.
- Develops an advanced reactor to effectively utilize the spherical CO2 sorbents for continuous CO2 capture
- Designs process with highly integrated heat exchange to achieve:
- High CO2 capture efficiency (> 90%)
- Low energy penalty 4-5% (electric- and total energy efficiency)
- About 25-30% cost saving (operating- and initial investment cost) compared to a competitive natural gas combined cycle (NGCC) power plant integrated with CO2 removal using manoethanolamine (MEA).